There will be no charges brought against a 22-year-old who shot and killed the home invader by the name of Stacey Kendell Ross Jr., 20, of Jacksonville, said Onslow County District Attorney Ernie Lee.
The 22-year-old, whose name is being withheld over concerns for his safety, had four words about the incident: “I’d do it again.”
He said he was getting ready to head out to dinner last week when he heard a knock on his apartment door. Looking out the peephole, he saw someone wearing a hoodie and answered the door with his Glock 30 in hand.
“Personal protection is why I have it,” he said in reference to his gun.
He said no one was there when he opened the door but when he turned his head to look down the stairs he was kicked in the face as Ross tried to force his way in.
The 22-year-old then fired five shots and hit Ross with four of the bullets.
Four others are accused of being Ross’ co-conspirators: Joshua Ray Cordts, 18, of Woodbury Farm Road in Jacksonville; Sean Douglas Padgett, 18, of Mississippi Street on Camp Lejeune; Steven Lamar Lewis, 18, of Valencia Drive in Jacksonville; and Haleigh Marie Noling, 17, of Rob Lee Drive in Jacksonville.
“As soon as I shot the first guy they all ran away,” he said, adding that Ross ran, too.
It’s not like in the movies, he continued, people don’t die right away. Ross was taken to Onslow Memorial Hospital where he died from the injuries.
Inside his home, that night were the 22-year-old’s mother and a friend of his, he said.
“Whatever their plans were, it wasn’t going to happen,” he said.
The four surviving suspects were arrested Wednesday and charged with one count each of armed robbery with a dangerous weapon and conspiracy to commit robbery with a dangerous weapon, according to a press release.
They’re all scheduled to be in court again on May 18, according to court documents.
As for the man they allegedly tried to rob, he said he doesn’t know what’s going to happen next.
“I’m really on my toes now,” he said.